CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

My first Tutuorial!

Today I made my very first clip holder! It's for a little girl that goes to my moms church. She is turning 1 at the beginning of April and what a better Birthday present than a clip holder and some new clips?! nothing! (: Anyways, lets get started!

What you will need:
scissors(duh)
hot glue gun
staple gun(optional)
canvas(I used an 8x10 canvas)
fabric of your choice(I bought a foot of fabric and have a lot left over)
ribbon to match your fabric- make sure you heat seal your edges!
picture hangers(they come with the nail)
hammer

To start off lay your fabric out flat with the pretty side face down. Lay your canvas down on top of the fabric with the backside facing you. The solid part of the canvas should be touching the plain side of your fabric.

Next you want to fold your fabric over the edges of your canvas to start the process of wrapping your canvas in fabric. This is where the hot glue/staple gun will come in handy. You can either hot glue it down(my choice) or you can staple it down with a staple gun. Make sure you pull the corners tight, you don't want any wrinkles on the front of your clip holder. Continue this all the way around the canvas gluing down each side. Cut off any extra fabric.

Once you have your fabric attached it's time to measure out your ribbon! I used 3 pieces on mine, decide how far apart you want your ribbons spaced and choose how many to put on your clip holder. To measure your ribbon to the right length you want to lay it flat on the table, lay your canvas on top of it, and wrap the ribbon around to the back of the canvas. You will need atleast an inch on each side of the canvas to attach the ribbon securely. Follow the same step for each piece of ribbon.

After you have your ribbons cut you want to space them out on the table and lay your canvas down flat on top of them. I chose to space mine out by every 1 inch and a half. Make sure your ribbons have an even amount on the sides, put hot glue on the edges sticking out from the canvas sides(should be about 2 inches long) and glue them down to the back. This means that on the front of the canvas they are loose and not attached, they are only glued down on the sides and back of the canvas.

After you get your ribbons on flip the canvas over to the back side and at the top measure an even amount to the center to attach your picture hanger. Mark your spot, hammer in your nails, and you are done!! I chose to add a neat little bow in the top corner on this clip holder, you can add anything your heart desires to yours!

I apologize for not having pics to help with the tutorial. If you have any questions or need any help I will be more than happy to help out! I can send a picture to help explain something if needed also or search google until I find one!!

My finished clip holder for the birthday girl!


If you would like to purchase one of these from me you can do so by visiting my website, facebook, or blog.

Also if you make one yourself please post pics!! I'd love to see them!

toodles! (:

1 comment:

Allison said...

What a cute idea!!! I like your layout by the way ;). We match!! I am following you and thanks for the follow.
~Allison